I’ve just watched a great presentation by the economist Umair Haque which outlined his principles for economic renewal (thanks to Paul Bradshaw for the link). His argument is that the bull run which followed the industrial revolution is drawing to a close and the next wave of growth will be powered by an “institutional revolution”.
He outlines five big shifts:
- From exploitation to renewal (summarised as “tomorrow is today”)
- From command to democracy (people not product)
- From war to peace (connections not transactions)
- From domination to equity (creativity not productivity)
- From value to meaning (outcomes not incomes)
The video is well worth watching – highly recommended.